This is the official site FAQ for Theoretical Computer Science. This question will contain a list of questions, with each question linking to a single answer. If there is prior discussion on an answer, or you wish to discuss a particular answer, please create a separate meta question and link to it (so that this FAQ remains uncluttered).
The scope of this site:
- Are questions about [this area of computer science] on-topic here?
- What kind of questions are too basic?
- Specific questions about Theorem X in paper Y?
- I'm looking for ideas for a project. Can I ask here ?
- My question is not a research-level question in TCS, where can I ask it?
How to use this site:
- Can I discuss questions and answers on cstheory.sx?
- I can't see any formulas!
- What is a [Math Processing Error]?
- How do I write formulas?
- How do I copy-and-paste a formula?
- There are too many questions on boring topic X that I don't care about.
- What is meta ? Why do people keep telling me to go there ? I just want my question answered !!
- My (wonderful!) question was closed! What do I do now?
- How do I delete my own question/answer?
- Why can't I comment on my own question?
- What does “closed as off topic” mean?
How to help the site:
This site is run by YOU, and your help is needed to maintain it as a valuable resource for the community. Here are some ways in which you can help (once you acquire enough reputation points):
- What if I see a question that I think is inappropriate/off topic/offensive ?
- I did a search for a tag, and a mislabelled question came up. what do I do ?
- How to ask a good question?
- Should I use my real name?
- When should I downvote/upvote?
- What kinds of tags should I use?
- When should I use the "community wiki" flag?
- What is the policy on crossposting to/from MathOverflow or other StackExchange sites?
- Useful resources to check before asking questions
- My answer turned out to be incorrect. What should I do?
- Can I ask about this cool paper that I just saw on the arxiv ?
Please use this thread if you have suggestions for improving this FAQ.