So this is probably the first instance what I can only describe as user spam. Unfortunately, non-mods won't be able to see the answers since they've been deleted, but user mouton, who joined just today, posted 5 answers in quick succession, none of which made any sense and were immediately flagged by users.
I (somewhat unilaterally) decided to use the SE email mechanism to email the user, in which I explained that their answers were repeatedly being flagged for low quality, and issued a warning that if this activity continued, they would be suspended for two days.
The question I have is: is this a reasonable way of dealing with such cases ?
Since it will be hard to discuss this out of context, below are examples:
On this question about infeasibility of AC^0 problems: these answers:
- "I guess the Gödel's incompleteness theore mis quite enough to give you a proof on the quid of your question. In addition, I guess that you're not believing in any mathematical demonstration of the "universe"?!"
- "(sorry, the arithmetic hierarchy made me thinking about some Bourbaky languages.. :)"
- "my only comment would be that genetic is so complex (it is the same dimension as our society, let's say...big factories) that you can't really put a fixed value on the effect of genetic (it's not the only one which is a factory: search at different scales)so I would suggest you to go more on the geometry philosophy to get an answer to your problem. Maybe also on some orientation and symetry like theory... "
- "Isomorphic means that you have a function f such f(G1+G2)=f(G1)+f(G2) and solve some algebraic properties. Please look in wikipedia to look which one, and define your "+" and check if all the properties are correct regarding to your isomorphism"
- "I met a stat teacher a few days ago. Wanted to ask him some stat question, 'cause I find that math stat is quite abstract. He told me that, yeah, indeed, you should look in some applied statistique to find some concrete example on the stat methodology (test to modelling). If that can help you..It is also for some biological concern."
There were also two answers in French, whose quality I can't ascertain.