Trained as a pure mathematicians (complex dynamics, under the supervision of Adrien Douady and John H. Hubbard), but am really a computer scientist now. Worked for 11 years at Maplesoft (makers of Maple), was head for the Math Group for some years. Now doing research in meta-programming "mechanized mathematics" (which aims to join symbolic computation and theorem proving into a single system). I tend to mostly use metocaml, Haskell and Maple for my regular programming, but I have had to program in > 25 languages professionally.
Member for 10 years, 6 months
14 profile views
Last seen Dec 1 '16 at 3:35
- MathOverflow 10.8k 10.8k 33 gold badges3939 silver badges6969 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.8k 2.8k 1818 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- Theoretical Computer Science 1.5k 1.5k 1313 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Mathematics 734 734 33 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Academia 453 453 44 silver badges77 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 83 Set theories without "junk" theorems?
- 48 Computer Algebra Errors
- 38 Most harmful heuristic?
- 38 When does iterating $z \mapsto z^2 + c$ have an exact solution?
- 34 Choosing between a class and a record
- 30 "Modern" HList?
- 28 For which algorithms is there a large gap between the theoretical analysis and reality?
- View more network posts →